Cp12 Certificate

A Complete Guide

Posted by: Team GSC

Updated: Jul 01, 2022

Gas Safety

A Complete Guide

What Is A Gas Safety Certificate ?

A Gas Safety Certificate or the Landlord Gas Safety Record (LGSR) is a legal record that declares all gas appliances and fittings within a property safe.

The Gas Safety Regulations (Installation and Use) 1998 requires all property owners who are renting their properties to obtain this certificate every 12 months.

Types of Landlord Gas Safety Certificates

There are 3 main types of Landlord Gas Safety Certificates:

Residential / Domestic Gas Safety Certificates

As the name implies, a residential Gas Safety Certificate is required by landlords of residential buildings like homes, flats, residential complexes, hostels, dormitories, rooming houses, etc. Landlords who are renting their residential buildings to tenants must obtain the LGSR every year.

Commercial Gas Safety Certificates

If you own a commercial property and are renting it out to tenants, you must obtain a Gas Safety Certificate every 12 months to comply with the law and ensure the safety of your property and renters. Commercial properties are classified as any place of business, including restaurants, office buildings, hotels, retail outlets, shops, pharmacies, etc.

New Build Gas Safety Certificates

If you're leasing a property under construction or renovation, it's crucial to acquire a Gas Safety Certificate. This is particularly important if a flueless gas appliance, like a hob, has been installed during the renovation process. Ensuring the safety of tenants and compliance with regulations, obtaining the certificate is a necessary step in renting out such properties.

The Various Names of Gas Safety Certificates

The Gas Safety Certificate is known by many names throughout Great Britain. You may hear it being referenced:

Homeowner Gas Safety Certificate

Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate

British Homeowners Gas Safety Certificate

CP12 Gas Safety Certificate

Gas Safety Register Certificate

It is essential to note that all these terms refer to the one and the same document. The official term for this certificate is Landlord Gas Safety Record (LGSR) however, CP12 is the specific product code for residential gas certificates, so it is often used interchangeably.

In the same way, every category has its own gas safety certificate code; CP16 is the code for commercial gas certificates, CP42 is the code for commercial catering appliances, and so on.

Finally, the Homeowner Gas Safety Certificate and the British Homeowners Gas Safety Certificate are often used interchangeably with the LAGR. It must be noted that the law doesn't require homeowners to have a Gas Safety Certificate, but it is essential for them to keep their appliances in check.

What Is the Gas Safety Record?

The Gas Safety Record is the documentation provided by a registered engineer after the Gas Safety check has been conducted. It is the only documentation required by the law, and it contains details about the inspection the engineer performed.

The Gas safety Record is another name for the Gas Safety Register Certificate. It is also called the Landlord’s Gas Safety Record or the LGSR.

These details include:

  • Name and address of the landlord.
  • Information about the engineer who conducted the checks, including their name, registration number, and signature.
  • The address of the property being inspected.
  • Details about the location and condition of each appliance present on the property.
  • The result of operational checks that were conducted on the appliances.
  • The safety defects that were found and the mechanisms used to repair them.
  • The date on which the Gas Safety check took place.

Why Do I Need A Gas Safety Certificate?

Gas is an essential resource, but it is also extremely dangerous. Accidents caused by gas can damage your property, cause injury, and may even result in fatalities.

On average, 60 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales. - NHS

Gas-related accidents result in great collateral damage and cause irreversible destruction. Miraculously if people survive, they usually have to face long-term health issues.

These accidents can take place through various means, but the two main causes of destruction are:

  • Active explosions
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning

The explosions can occur as a result of both gas leaks and fires. Research undertaken by the HSE shows that workplace gas explosions have doubled over the last five years.

34% of unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning that took place from 1995 to 2021 was caused by gas leaks.

36% 36% 27% 27% 18% 18% 9% 9% 0% 0% Shares of Deaths 34% 31% 16% 16% 2% 1% 0.4% Gas mains Gas mains Solid Solid Gas Portable Gas Portable Paterol/Diesel Paterol/Diesel Unknown Unknown Oil Oil Parafin Parafin

Another alarming statistic shows that gas mains cause the bulk of fatalities in domestic and commercial fuel-related accidents.

The table given below by Ridgas shows that fatalities caused by gas-related accidents jumped to 0.08% in 2019/20 as compared to 0.03% in 2017/18. Similarly, incidents that caused injury due to CO positioning, exposure to unburn gas, and explosions also increased in 2019-2020.

Incident/Severity Incident type 2016/17 2017/18 2018/19 2019/20
Incidents All 154 129 136 150
Incidents Carbon Monoxide poisoning 122 100 99 96
Incidents Other exposure, e.g to unburnt gas 4 6 13
Incidents Explosion/Fire 28 29 31 41
Fatalities All 2 3 8
Fatalities Carbon Monoxide poisoning 1 2
Fatalities Other exposure, e.g to unburnt gas
Fatalities Explosion/Fire 1 1 8
Non Fatalities All 263 193 246 201
Non Fatalities Carbon Monoxide poisoning 222 154 196 151
Non Fatalities Other exposure, e.g to unburnt gas 5 5 12 15
Non Fatalities Explosion/Fire 36 39 38 35

Given these disturbing statistics, the acquisition of a Gas Safety Certificate is essential. Landlords of domestic and commercial buildings must comply with the law and obtain annual gas safety checks to ensure the safety of their property and tenants.

While this certificate safeguards property and renters, it also protects landlords from being accused of any gas-related incident. If they are fulfilling their responsibility by obtaining a gas check and renewing the certificate every year, they cannot be held accountable for any incident that takes place on their property. This is especially useful for commercial landlords.

What Are My Gas Safety Responsibilities as A Landlord?

As a landlord, you are responsible for ensuring that your property is safe for tenants.

According to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GSIUR), the 3 main gas-related responsibilities of a landlord are:

  • Firstly, landlords must get an annual gas safety check and receive the Landlord Gas Safety Certificate.  This check must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer and must take place after 10 to 12 months of the previous check. All the appliances and the flues must be adequately checked to ensure that they are safe to use.
  • Secondly, after the gas safety check, landlords must acquire a copy of your Landlord’s Gas Safety Record (LGSR), also called the Gas Safety Certificate , because this is the document you are required by law to give to your tenants. It contains details about the checks that have been conducted. You must provide your tenants with a copy of this certificate at the time of tenancy or within 28 days of the check.
  • Lastly, landlords must maintain their appliances, pipework, flues, and chimneys. You can take a look at the gas appliances’ manufacturer guidelines to check when an appliance needs to be serviced. At the same time, it must be noted that boiler and flue service is not included in the annual check, so landlords must acquire maintenance services separately.

What Are My Gas Safety Responsibilities as A Tenant?

While the landlords are responsible for making sure their property is safe, tenants must also take certain steps to ensure their safety.

Ensure That the Landlord Gets A GSC Every Year

If you are a tenant, you should be aware that your landlord is required by the law to conduct gas safety checks on the property every year. You must make sure that they do so annually.

Report To HSE If the Landlord Does Not Get A GSC

If they don’t get the check, remind them that it is criminal negligence, and if they don’t schedule an inspection even after your reminder, you must inform the authorities (HSE) right away.

Ensure The Property Is Accessible for A Gas Safety Check

In addition, your responsibility as a tenant is to make sure the property is accessible for a gas safety check. and while the check takes place, you should ensure the following:

  • Check the Gas Safe ID of the registered engineer.
  • Provide information that the engineer may need to conduct the check
  • Ensure that appliances marked unsafe for use by the engineer are not used until they are replaced or repaired.

After the check takes place, you should remember to take a copy of the Gas Safety Record from the landlord.

Can Landlords Delegate the Gas Safety responsibility to Their Tenants?

Landlords cannot use a tenancy agreement to transfer the responsibility of ensuring gas safety to a tenant.

Even if it is explicitly stated in the tenancy agreement, it will have no legal value.

However, landlords can hold tenants responsible for the gas safety of a gas fitting or appliance in a non-residential part of the property.

No, the gas safety of a property is the sole responsibility of the landlord. It cannot be transferred to the tenant.

Who is Responsible for The Gas Safety of Appliances Owned by The Tenant?

The tenant is responsible for obtaining a gas safety check and record for the appliances owned and used by them.

If you are planning to use your own gas appliance in a rented property, ensure the following:

  • Notify your landlord of the appliances you will be bringing and fitting in the house before the tenancy agreement is finalized.
  • Ask the landlord’s permission to install any new gas appliances during the tenancy.
  • Ask the landlord to include the inspection of appliances owned by you in the annual gas safety check for a reasonable cost.

Will My Landlord Provide the Carbon Monoxide Alarm?

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 mandate that landlords must install at least one working Carbon Monoxide alarm in any room where solid fuel is used in their rented property.

However, gas is not solid fuel, so renters must get a CO alarm if their property doesn’t come with it.

It isn’t very costly, and you can easily purchase this from any store. This investment can protect you from deadly Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Landlords are not required by law to provide CO Alarms

How Often Do I Need a Gas Safety Certificate?

Ever since the Gas Safety Regulations of 1998 came into effect, it has become mandatory for all Landlords to acquire a Gas Safety Certificate every year.

According to the law, the Homeowners’ Gas Safety Certificate or the CP12 Certificate is valid for up to 12 months.

After 12 months, the CP12 certificate expires and must be renewed. For the renewal of the certificate, Landlords must book a new gas safety check from a Gas Safe registered engineer.

After the gas safety check, a new certificate is provided to the landlord, and the inspection is recorded in the Landlord Gas Safety Record.

A gas safety check should be scheduled and successfully carried out within 10 to 12 months of the previous inspection.

Once the certificate has been issued, new deadline date is assigned for 12 months after the latest inspection. The Gas Safety Register can be contacted if confusions regarding the Landlord Gas Safety Record persist as it contains details of all previous checks.

How Much Does a Gas Safety Certificate Cost?

The average cost of a Gas Safety Certificate ranges between £34 – £150.

However, there are various other factors that determine the cost of a Gas Safety Certificate, these are:

Generally, the cost of a residential gas safety certification is lower than commercial certification.

The Type of Property

The cost of a Gas Safety Certificate varies according to the type of property; the cost differentiation is based on the following:

  • Residential or Domestic Gas Safety Certificate
  • Commercial Gas Safety Certificate
  • New Build Gas Safety Certificate



New Build

The Number of Gas Appliances to Be Checked

The cost of the GSC, formerly the commercial and residential CP12, increases with the number of appliances; the more appliances you have, the higher the Landlord Gas Safety Certificate cost.




Typically, you incur 30% extra cost with each new appliance.

Therefore, if your gas safety check cost is £34 with 1 appliance, £44.2 with two appliances, £54.2, ad so on.

The Number of Properties

If you own multiple properties and need Gas safety Certificates for them every year, it is safe to assume that you can negotiate a discounted gas safety check cost from the service provider, given you are choosing the same company for all of them.

You can receive approximately 15% discount on the total cost of the certification if you have more than 5 properties. You may be able to negotiate a higher discount rate if you have 10+ properties.

The Location of Your Property

How much does a Gas Safety Certificate cost also depends on the location of your property. The cost of a CP12 Certificate is higher in bigger cities and metropolises as compared to town and rural areas.

Urban Area

Rural Area

Gas Safety Certificate Costs Can Be 10% – 25% Higher in Bigger Cities

Therefore, the gas safety check cost a building in London with 2 appliances will be higher than the gas safety check cost of a building with 2 appliances in Lyndhurst or Painswick.

The Gas Safety Certificate Service Provider

The cost of a CP12 certificate also depends on the service provider. Just like with any commodity or service, some companies charge more than others depending on their pricing model.

It is a common perception that local companies are more affordable compared to national corporations. However, it may not be true. There are many considerations that you need to think about before deciding on a service provider, these are:

  • Survey the market and shortlist the gas safe registered companies providing gas safety certification in your area.
  • Analyze their price against their service offerings – some local companies may quote a lower cost, but they don’t offer the same quality and range of services as national companies. Consider elements such as same-day gas safety check, gas safety certificate delivery within 24 hours, availability of online downloadable and printable certificates, the knowledge and experience of the staff, etc.
  • Consider the business model of the company – are they a national company with local engineers? If so, they may be the best option as they offer premium services at affordable rates and quick turnaround time. National companies, such as Gas Safety Certs, that offer affordable gas safety checks across Great Britain by utilizing a large network of registered and experienced local engineers. Are the best choice.

The Speed of Service

Do you need the Gas safety Certificate on urgent basis? It may cost you more! Although most professional service providers deliver the certificate within 48 hours, they will charge you extra if you want the certificate even quicker.

Gas Safety Certificate Cost at Gas Safety Certs

Gas Safety Certs provides Gas Safety Register Certificates or CP12 certificates for as low as £34. If you are interested in availing our service, get an instant quote by filling an online form in under 5 minutes!

You can get Residential, Commercial and New Building Gas Safety Certificates from accredited engineers at Gas Safety Certs with 48 hours.

Services Description Get Quotes
CP12 Residential
  • Home
  • Residential Buildings
  • Apartments
Residential Quote Form
CP12 Commercial
  • Shopping Malls
  • Resturants
  • Residentials Complex
  • Offices
Commercial Quote Form
CP12 New Build
  • New construction
  • Renovation of a building
New Build Quote Form

What Can I Expect During A Gas Safety Check?

When a Gas Safe registered engineer visits your property for the annual gas safety checks, they will do the following:

  • Ask your permission to inspect the gas appliances in the property
  • Inspect the appliances and fittings and note down the specifics
  • Check the burner pressure and gas rate of the appliances
  • Check whether the appliances have been fitted correctly, that they are stable and the pipework is in good condition
  • Evaluate if the appliances are suitable for the room they are fitted in
  • Conduct a tightness test to detect leaks
  • Check the ventilation and air supply
  • Inspect the condense traps and clean them
  • Inspect the boiler, radiators, and hot water cylinders for defects in pressure and settings
  • Check the safety devices, such as smoke alarm, to see if they are working properly
  • Check the gas pipes for leaks
  • Check the chimneys to see if there is any blockage

How Long Will The Gas Safety Check Take?

The inspection required to get a CP12 certificate usually takes around 30 to 60 minutes for an average sized property.

The time may increase or decrease depending on the size of the property and whether any immediate repair work is needed.

Who Can Carry Out A Gas Safety Check?

Only a Gas Safe registered engineer is authorized to conduct the gas safety check.

The Gas Safety Register contains an official list of businesses that can conduct a Gas Safety Check.

Registered engineers are employed by these companies.

Every engineer has a Gas Safe ID card that contains information about their qualifications. When the engineer comes to your property for inspection, ask to see this card before letting them begin the check.

The card includes:

  • Photograph: The engineer’s photo for identification.
  • The name of the company they are associated with: Are they from the same company you booked the service from?
  • Card validity dates: The date on which the card was issued and will expire.
  • License number: The engineer’s license number issues by the Gas Safe Register.
  • Gas safe security hologram: Each ID card has a hologram with a logo of the Gas Safe Register.

My Engineer's Gas Safe ID Is Valid, Can He Perform The Gas Safety Check?

An engineer with a valid Gas Safe register ID can perform the gas safety check. However, not all Gas Safe registered engineers are qualified to check all types of gas appliance.

Read the back card to find out which appliances can your Gas Safe engineer check? The back of the card has a list of domestic and non-domestic appliances that an engineer is qualified to inspect along with the expiry date.

If you are getting your hob inspected, make sure the engineer is qualified to inspect a hob.

My Gas Safety Check Is Done, Now What?

After the Gas Safe engineer completes the gas safety check on your property, ensure you receive the Gas Safety Certificate as proof of compliance. Address any safety concerns highlighted by the engineer and schedule the next annual Gas Safety Check.

When Will I Receive My Gas Safety Certificate?

After the registered engineer has carried out the inspection, they will provide the land owner with a copy of the Gas Safety Register certificate, also known as the CP12.

If the company you opted for has an online platform, you might be able to receive a copy through email as well.

You will receive the Gas Safety Certificate within 48 hours of the gas safety check.

What Happens If My Property Fails the Gas Safety Check?

If,during an inspection,an engineer finds a faulty appliance, they will mark the appliance as ‘not safe to use’. The appliances are marked as per the severity of the defect, the three different codes are:

  • Not to Current Standards (NCS): appliances under this category are technically safe to use but do not meet the standards set.
  • Immediately Dangerous (ID): These appliances are marked ID because they are life threatening. Tenants must stop using them immediately and get them repaired or replaced.
  • At Risk (AR): Appliances in this category have at least one fault that poses a threat to humans. Tenants must get the repaired or replaced within the given timeframe.

In the case of appliances that pose immediate dangers, the engineers usually opt to disconnect the main gas supply until the repair work takes place. This repair work must take place as soon as possible to prevent any harm.

What Happens If I Don’t Have a Gas Safety Certificate?

It is necessary for all the landlords in the United Kingdom to have a valid a CP12 Certificate, also called the Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificate. This certificate is a legal document required for passing the annual gas safety assessment.

Before a new tenant moves into a property, the landlord is obligated to arrange a gas safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

The tenant must then receive a copy of the CP12 certificate within 28 days of assessment.

It is mandatory that Gas Safety checks are conducted on all boilers, pipes, ovens, chimneys, furnaces, and every fitting that is involved in the process of gas-burning or exhaustion.

Failing to own a Gas Safety Certificate for your property is considered non-compliance with the Gas Safety regulations which is a criminal offense

Any individual renting out a property without a Gas Safety Certificate can face the following penalties:

Fines and Imprisonment

Landlords who don’t obtain a valid Gas Safe Register Certificate every year are heavily penalized the fine can be as much as £5000.

In addition, not only does it put you and your family at risk, but in case of any gas accidents on the property, e.g., a gas leak or explosion, the landlord can also face imprisonment for up to six months.

Lawsuits by HSE

If any landlord refuses to provide a copy of the Gas Safe Register Certificate to the tenant, they should be reminded to do so under the Gas Safety Regulations 1998.

However, in case of refusal upon request, the tenant has the right to report the landlord or file a complaint to the Health and Safety Execute (HSE) through the LGSR1 form.

This will allow the HSE to prosecute the landlord. The process may take some time because of the number of complaints already registered with the department; hence reaching an agreement with the landlord is always preferred. If that does not work, the HSE may issue a warning and may sue the landlord afterwards.

Can I Rent My House If I Don’t Have a Gas Safety Certificate?

Ensuring the safety of their tenants or buyers is the responsibility of every property owner. Therefore, when renting a property, landowners are legally required to get Gas Safety Checks and acquire a CP12 to ensure that all the appliances are properly fitted and safe to use.

Ideally, the landlord must provide a CP12 before the start of the tenancy; however, landlords can also provide it within 28 days of renting out the property.

No, you cannot legally rent a house until you provide the tenants with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate.

Can I Sell My House If I Don’t Have A Gas Safety Certificate?

Homeowners who are looking to sell their homes are not required by law to have a valid gas safety Certificate to sell the house. Even so, it is recommended that you get annual gas safety checks and inspections to ensure the safety of your property.

Moreover, the Building Regulations in England and Wales require landowners to inform the local authorities whenever a heat-producing appliance is installed. Upon which, they are given a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate, which they must provide to the buyers.

If this certificate is lost, it can easily be replaced by placing a new order.

Yes, you can sell your house if you don’t have a Gas Safety Certificate.

Why Choose GasSafetyCerts.com?

Large network of Gas Safe Registered Engineers

Landlords can download a digital copy of the certificate

Quick turnaround time; inspection within 48 hours!

You can Track your Order online

24/7 qualified support

Affordable prices

Verified Service Provided

All of our property professionals are members of the relevant trade accreditation scheme.